This site is dedicated to the “Catalina” twin-engine World War Two Canso amphibious flying boat, of which there are very few left in the world.
Visit the official site of the NZ Catalina Preservation Society.
Fifty-six Catalina’s (NZ4001-NZ4056) operated with the Royal New Zealand Air Force between 1943 and 1953. Provided under lend/lease arrangements these were a mix of non-amphibious Consolidated and Boeing built aircraft. The Catalina’s operated with No’s 5 and 6 SQNs and No3 OTU, based at Hobsonville and various points in the Pacific. They were engaged in anti-submarine, shipping escort, air-sea rescue and transport roles. Unlike many lend/lease aircraft, the Catalina’s continued to be operated after World War II because they filled a vital role in South Pacific communications.